<$BlogRSDUrl$>
|

10/13/2009

Orange You Glad You Don't Have to Take the Green Line? 

So…for those of you not keeping score at home…I’m moving again. Back to Virginia… but this time, to a straight up thug town called Arlington.

The early 1990’s Valley Girl in my head is saying “well, no duh,” as I type this.

Indeed. No duh.

When I left my last job in Virginia Beach, I worked through Wednesday, drove up on Thursday, and started my new job that Monday. After that stressful series of events, I had a very “Gone with the Wind” / “Tara” moment where I shouted in my empty Virginia townhouse, “As God Is My Witness, they’re not going to lick me. I’m going to live through this and when it’s all over, I’ll never take off so little time in between jobs again. No, nor any of my folk. If I have to lie, steal, cheat or kill. As God is my witness, I’ll never take off so little time in between jobs again!!”

Ahem.

So.

There was that great dramatic scene a little more than two years ago…and where do I find myself today? Well, tomorrow I will pack up my desk and drive the 550 miles to get to DC. I start my new life and job on Monday.


Here’s how I expected this transition to work out…

All aboard the train to Fantasy Land!

Seth and I would find jobs that would double our salaries and give us healthy signing bonuses. These fantastic new jobs would require us to start employment in mid-November. We would leave our old jobs at the beginning of October and spend the next month and a half traveling to far away and exotic places. If time permitted, we’d scale Mt. Everest without oxygen, build homes for orphans, learn Mandarin, and program our DVR to record MNF while we’re gone.

Okay, so maybe it was a little far-fetched; I hate that tricky DVR…damn thing always runs out of recording space. Erase the programs you’ve already watched, Seth! (That should elicit at least one comment to this post).

All I wanted was some time. Time to settle. I’m like a bowl of pudding without the skin…never cooling…always agitated. And it has been well documented in popular culture that the pudding skin is by far the best part of that particular dish.

Okay…so that’s the whine…now here’s the cheese…

When I was a kid, I grew up in a world that consisted of the block I lived on. I had no idea what else was out there, and I’m pretty sure that I didn’t care (as long as the freeze pops kept coming and my pudding had a healthy dermis).

As I grew older, the world got bigger. And then I came to the realization that I was small. We’re talkin’ really small. Like a blade of grass…or a grain of sand. It’s slightly depressing…e.g. how could a blade of grass ever expect to impact the universe?

But, truth be told…I’m not a blade of grass. Luckily for me, I’m not planted in one place. I’m going to live in different cities, I’m going to experience each locale to the fullest, I’m going to meet lots of different people, and I’m going to hang on to the friendships I’ve made along the way.

As my plan thus far…it’s been flippin’ sweet.

And so with that, I intend to continue the flippin’ sweetness of my life.

|

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?